Wayne C.  Annala

Wayne C. Annala

Wednesday, November 2nd, 1932 - Sunday, February 2nd, 2020
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Wayne C. Annala, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Or sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been posted successfully

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Wayne C. Annala

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question / comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Wayne C. 's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Wayne C. 's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


Wayne Annala

Hood River native and longtime local attorney Wayne Carlos Annala, 87, passed away Feb. 2, 2020, at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland, Ore. He was born Nov. 2, 1932, in Hood River, Ore., to Arne and Kathleen (Kay Carlos) Annala.

Wayne grew up in the Oak Grove and Odell areas of the Hood River Valley. As a boy he learned the ropes of being an orchardist as he helped his father with his apple and pear orchards along with assisting many aunts and uncles with theirs. It was during those years that he decided to practice law so that he could help out all of his family and friends, so he traded in the smudge pots for law books.

Wayne excelled in school, starting with athletics. He played baseball and many other sports. He did not limit himself to sports, as he also loved being in the Hood River High School marching band, in which he played various instruments. During his senior year he ran for the office of student body president and he proudly led the school and enjoyed his tenure.

Graduating in 1950 from HRHS, he went on to graduate from Oregon State College in 1954, received his law degree in 1957 from the University of Oregon, and was admitted to the Oregon Bar that same year.

Because of his love for the military, Wayne spent the summers during his early college years joining the Marine and Naval cadet programs. He had hoped to serve his country for years to come but he was released due to a back injury.

Also during his college years he married Loretta Daugherty, on June 12, 1954, in the Riverside Church in Hood River. They had four children: Susan, Eric, Robyn and Davin.

His legal experience began with a job as law clerk to federal Judge Wm. G. East, followed by three years practicing law at Portland law firm.

In January 1961 Wayne moved back to Hood River with his young family and he acquired the law office of John N. Mohr, who had died a month prior. Wayne continued to practice law in Hood River (Annala, Carey, Baker, Thompson & Van Koten, and later Annala, Carey and Hull) until his death.

In December 2005 Wayne was the first recipient of the Edwin J. Peterson Professional Award, given by the Oregon Bench/Bar Commission on Professionalism.

Retirement held no appeal for him. "I don't like to fish and I don't play golf and I don't want to build bird houses to keep myself occupied, so what would I do if I stopped practicing law?" he told writer Melody Finnemore nearly 10 years ago. "You'll know I'm retired when the local mortician rolls me out of the office on a gurney."

Throughout his life Wayne enjoyed the great outdoors by whitewater rafting with his best friend, Judge Edwin Peterson; also boating, dirt biking, skiing and mountain climbing. He was an early member of the Crag Rats mountain rescue group (which was started by many of his family members in 1926). In his younger years he never missed a rescue, which he felt took precedence over his attorney work. Wayne he got his outdoor fix at a cabin he purchased on Savary Island in Canada, where he spent many summers in the last 30 years.
He also had a great love for music, and according to his family could play any instrument that was handed to him. During his early years he would grace the stage playing his beloved accordion or piano, which he could do with his eyes closed. He also performed during some Lions Follies programs playing his accordion.

Wayne was predeceased in 2011 by his wife Loretta and their son Davin, and their son Eric in 2012.

On June 2, 2012, he married Camilla Wishart at St. Mark's Church in Hood River.

He is survived by his wife, Camilla; daughters Susan Annala, of Hood River, and Robyn Annala, of Waldport, Ore.; and Jana Mattson; seven grandchildren: Livia Hendrickson, Erica Nichols, Josh Sleeper, Julia Sleeper, Ryan Annala, Nick Annala and Shawn Annala; and 12 great-grandchildren.

There will be an open house at the Crag Rat Hut at a later date with details in a later edition. Private disposal of ashes is planned at Cloud Cap during the summer.

Arrangements are under the direction of Anderson's Tribute Center (Funerals • Receptions • Cremations) 1401 Belmont Avenue, Hood River, Oregon 97031.
Read Less

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Wayne C.
No funeral details available.


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Wayne C. here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
Julie Gleason sent flowers to the family of Wayne C. Annala.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

Robyn Annala

Posted at 10:39pm
When I think back on our family life through the years, and remember some of the fun times with Dad, there are some really fun memories. I remember being very young, we lived up on Montello St. in Hood River, and every Christmas Dad would get out the giant wooden candy canes and place them on the edges of the sidewalks around our house, and then he'd get out the giant inflatable Santa and he'd blow it up in our living room, and we'd play fun music, like Yogi Yorgesson, and we kids would take turns dancing around the living room with the giant Santa before he'd head up to the rooftop and cable it up there.

I remember winters with all the snow and we'd head out to go sledding sometimes. Dad would put our two little wooden sleds and one big one in the car and off we'd go. Sometimes we'd go to Indian Creek Rd. to sled down the big hill with others. Sometimes we'd get on the little sleds, but he'd usually go down on the big sled with one of us kids on his back, and that was really fun.

And I remember fall time when Dad would round us all up to go help rake the leaves in the yard. I remember the year we complained that the rakes were too heavy, and he went out and bought 4 bamboo rakes, so light even the youngest of us could use one. We used those rakes for years, as the teeth slowly broke off and they became less and less effective.

I remember some good times at the house where Dad would get out his accordion and play us some tunes, always very fun and exciting for us kids when he did that. Sometimes he'd play on the piano too. We always knew Dad was in a really good mood when he'd break out the accordion.

Every morning on school days, after Mom got really tired of the never ending challenge of getting all four kids up and out of our beds for school, eventually she gave the challenge over to Dad, who decided putting polka music on REALLY loud on the stereo in the mornings would get us up and dancing. Well, no dancing (well, HE danced around, but WE did not), but it certainly did squash our ability to stay in bed and go back to sleep! That was our morning life for years.

Some weekends he'd get the idea to take us all out for a drive, Mom would cringe, but off we'd go, and he'd take us on some long forest road treks, sometimes on some very steep edged roads that would make Mom very nervous. Dad thought it was all great fun.

He loved to ski, and he'd get us all outfitted with ski gear and take us all up to the mountain to go skiing sometimes. Most of the kids took to it with no problems, Sue loved it, Eric loved it so much he was on the ski team, and Davin loved the speed, even as a young kid he would get to the top of the big hill and point his skis downward and go straight down as fast as he could. I was not one to take to skiing, I'd get too cold and sit inside drinking hot chocolate. But Dad sure loved to go skiing.

And sometimes we got surprise days when Dad would say get the boat ready, we're going out on the river. Those were the rare days when the river was flat and the wind was taking a break. The windless days were the good days back before the wind became so popular. We'd gather up supplies, Mom would pack goodies, and we'd load up the boat with necessities and off we'd go. Dad loved to waterski too, and he was very good at it. He'd get up on both skis and have Mom driving the boat while we all watched him ski and yelled at her when he'd give the signals to speed up or slow down, and then he'd drop a ski and he loved to ski on just one ski. Sometimes he'd just take off on one ski in the beginning. Sometimes he'd outfit the old snow wing metal snow sled with an inner tube tied on top and we kids would skim along behind the boat which was great fun. We also sometimes went out with friends to sit under the fireworks in our boats, all tied together like a big raft, and we would all boat hop and enjoy being with everyone. Those were some really fun memories.

In truth Dad worked most of the time. He liked his work and he worked 6 days a week, saying he'd get more work done on Saturdays than the rest of the week sometimes. He truly gave the best of himself to his clients and his job, and he'd often be home in the evenings getting in some work, and up early in the mornings, always reading something. He loved to read, if not work things, then books galore.

It's an end of an era for our family, and a sad and trying transition, but I hope he's up in Heaven in God's library now, where all the truthful answers to all the questions exist. At least that's my version of Heaven.

Jakki Jensen Posted at 10:42am

That was lovely Robyn. Thank you for sharing. Your father was an amazing man! Jakki

Jakki Jensen Posted at 10:42am

That was lovely Robyn. Thank you for sharing. Your father was an amazing man! Jakki


Posted at 03:15pm
I first met Mr. Annala, Wayne, shortly after my father, John N. Mohr, past in Dec. 1960. I was 11 years old, and Wayne took over my Dad's Law Practice. Through out the years, Wayne was always there to advise my Mom, Lenora "Nonie" Mohr, on legal matters and other day to day questions that came up. Wayne was someone who gave me and my brothers advise as we were growing up and it was greatly appreciated. Wayne was one of the funniest people I remember and a great story teller to boot. As I grew older, I was able to look back and realize what that Wayne was a person of true character, ethics, and wisdom, and practiced Law in a way that would make even Atticus Finch proud.

Wayne was the best of Hood River values and always gave service to the community knowing that the measure of a person was not about self, but for the good of all.

My condolences to the Annala Family from the Mohr Family.

Jim Mohr, Eugene. Or and Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland

Christine Nance

Posted at 10:30am
Wayne served three generations of our family in here Hood River with his intelligence, integrity, sincerity and humor. It was an old fashioned professional service and a dear friendship that will be greatly missed. Our hearts go out to all his people.
Christy and Walt Nance

Norma Willis

Posted at 03:19pm
Wayne has been our corporate and personal lawyer for years. We first met in the early 1940s. My brother and husband graduated 8th grade together with Wayne. Bob and Wayne went to high school where Wayne served as student body president. He was a great lawyer and friend whom our family was blessed to have. The family will miss him very much. God Bless Camilla, Susan, Robyn and families.

Gloria Collie

Posted at 04:40pm
I want to give my sincere and deepest condolences to Camilla and the Annala family and friends. What a great man. When I first met Wayne I was a little intimidated but quickly learned that he had a big heart and we became not only co-workers but friends. He shared books about mountain climbing with me and got me hooked. I went to Nepal to trek and I blame it on Wayne. Thank you, Wayne for believing in me.

I know that Wayne's clients will miss him. He loved to visit with them. Many regarded him as a friend, not just their attorney. Climb every mountain, Wayne. God bless and rest in peace.

Gloria Collie Posted at 08:41pm

I'd like to make a correction in my post above. I was not a co-worker of Wayne's. I was employed by his firm. I should not have said that we were co-workers. Wayne was one of my favorite people and I will miss him greatly.

Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each

Tribute Video

Share by: